130 Reduced Cost Well Water Test Kits Available for Monroe County Residents
February 17, 2021
Healthy groundwater is an important resource to the residents of Monroe County. One of the easiest ways to determine your groundwater health is through a simple well water test. Monroe County has 130 reduced-cost well-water test kits available to county residents on a first-come first serve basis. We are working with UW-Stevens Point to offer the Homeowners Package which includes: Total Coliform Bacteria, Nitrates, pH, Alkalinity, Total Hardness, Chloride, and Conductivity and Corrosively. Cost to county residents is $20 (Regularly $55). Please note, these test kits are intended for homeowners.
Those interested in receiving a kit must pre-register either online at http://www.co.monroe.wi.us/departments/land-conservation or by calling the Monroe County Land Conservation Department at 608-269-8973 by 4:30 p.m. on March 12th. Individuals that preregister will be expected to:
1) Pick up and pay for their water sampling kit (cash or check) between Tuesday, March 16th and Friday March 19th at the Monroe County Land Conservation Office (820 Industrial Drive, STE 3, Sparta). You will receive sampling instructions at that time.
2) Collect and return their sample on Monday, March 22nd at the Monroe County Land Conservation Office.
This testing opportunity is part of a project between the Monroe County Health Department, Monroe County Land Conservation Department and UW Extension to implement a well water testing program funded by a grant by the Wisconsin Department of Health Services. The goals of this project are to:
• Increase the number of Monroe County residents who can test their groundwater.
• Create a baseline of groundwater quality in Monroe County
• Provide groundwater education
• Use information to guide future land use planning
For questions or concerns, please contact Arin Gowan in Monroe County Land Conservation at 608-269-8973.